Message from the Vice Chancellor(Incharge) - Prof. C. Basavaraju
I am very happy to extend a warm welcome to the international community of the University of Mysore, one of India’s premier institutions of higher learning. The University of Mysore enjoys the rare and unique honour of parenting four universities in Karnataka, these being the Bangalore University in 1964, Mangalore University in 1980, Kuvempu University in 1987 and the Karnataka State Open University in 1996.
Known for its excellent infrastructure, which provides the ideal ambience for pursuit of academic excellence, the University has several laurels to its credit.
Major Milestones and Signposts:
- Ranked 36th (University Category) and 57th (overall category) in India Rankings 2017 conducted by NIRF, MHRD, Govt. of India.
- Ranked 9th (State Universities) and 15th (India Universities)in India’s Best Universities 2017 survey conducted by Hansa- The WEEK National Ranking 2017.
- University of Mysore was the first University in the State that was accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in the year 2000 with Five Stars Status.
- Second cycle of re-accreditation by NAAC in 2006 with A+ Level
- Third -time accredited by NAAC with a score of 3.47 on a 4 -point scale at A+ , preparation for the 4th cycle of re-accreditation is underway
- Recognized by Govt. of India as an “Institution of Excellence (IOE)” with a grant of Rs. 100 crores (in 2008)
- (Recognized as University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) in 2009 by UGC with a grant of 50 crores in (2012)
- Recognized Centre of Excellence in Potential for Excellence in a Particular Area (CPEPA) and was awarded grant of Rs. 9.5 crores which is being renewed in 2016
- Identified as one of the top 20 universities in Scientific publications and was awarded Rs.9.00 Crore under PURSE Scheme, and renewed for 2nd Phase in 2016 awarded 8.5 crore.
- Identified by Government of Karnataka (2009) as Innovation University
- The overall h-index (Web of Science) for published research: 42 with 3609 publications since 1986. Some faculty members of the University have a index of 18 and above.
The University’s outstanding contribution to high quality research in different faculties of knowledge, its social concerns reflected in the advocacy and outreach activities and the thrust on wholesome development of student potential have attracted students and faculty from across the world to its doors. Over the years, the University’s international student presence is becoming very visible and vibrant. With its commitment to multiculturalism, the University is truly a ‘home away from home'.I wish you an academically enriching and culturally rewarding stay at the University of Mysore.