Physical Education & Sports Science
Brief History of Department
The University College of Physical Education started under the department of Physical Education, University of Mysore, Mysore, in the year 1972. The Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.) course was started in the year 1972 with an intake capacity of 20 students.
In the same department Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed) course of one year duration was started in the year 1974 with an intake capacity of 15 students. The duration of M.P.Ed.course was enhanced to two years in the year 2001 as per guidelines of N.C.T.E. The academic wing of the department of Physical Education was called University College of Physical Education. In the year 1993, the College was bifurcated from the Department of Physical Education. The College of Physical Education was renamed as the Department of Studies in Physical Education and Sports Sciences, in the year 2002. The B.P.Ed. and M.P.Ed. courses are residential and are recognized by the National Council for Teacher Education in India.
The department is pioneer in the state offering under-graduate and post-graduate teacher training courses. The graduated students work as Physical Education Teachers, Physical Directors, Sports Officers and Instructors in sports and games in schools, colleges, Universities, corporate sectors and other organizations.
- i)Captain H.Veeraraj Urs Memorial and Mysore University And affiliated colleges teachers’ association gold medal for Ist rank student in B.P.Ed. course.
- Seshanna felicitation committee gold medal for Ist rank students in M.P.Ed. course
- Seshanna felicitation committee gold medal for the student scoring highest marks in Practical activities in B.P.Ed. course.
- The Department organizes regular intramural programmes in sports for students.
- The Department organizes projects in sports, games, Athletics, Teaching and coaching to help students work on them and gain first hand experience.
- Teachers work extra hours to help weaker students toward improving their performance.
- Teachers assist the students and alumni of our department in preparing them for UGC/ SLET/NET/CET exams.
- The Department arranges special training for students desirous of taking examination to qualify as officials/Referees and Umpires in different sports and games.
- Through talent search forum, cultural activities are organized frequently.
- Teachers guide and counsel general public in fitness and sports.
Other information: The main focus of the courses run in the department is teaching. The curriculum content at the under-graduate level (B.P.Ed course) has breadth and curriculum content at the post-graduate level (M.P.Ed. course) has depth. The course content is designed to impart knowledge in specific core subjects and allied fields as well as to train the students in teaching skills, and in skills of a variety of sports and games so that they are well prepared and groomed to take up teaching and coaching when they get into jobs in schools, colleges and Universities. The faculty members have vast experience to cater to the curricular and co-curricular needs of the students. Our graduates are preferred over graduates of other universities for jobs in educational institutions in the community.