Dr. Dayanand Mane, is the founding head of the Department of Studies in Public Administration; who struggled hard to create a separate department for Public Administration in the University, out of the Department of Studies in Political Science. The University started to offer MA, M.Phil and PhD courses of Public Administration in 2010, 2012 and 2015 respectively. A demand for a separate department of Public Administration was started in 2011. The demand was approved by the Syndicate at its meeting held on 04-12-2014, the Finance Committee on 17-01-2015 and the Academic Council on 04-02-2016. The Chancellor approved the Statute on 09-07-2015 and the Department came into existence with effect from 19-07-2015. Also the BOE and the BOS of the department came into existence in 2015. Now it has one distinguished Professor and two Assistant Professors and successfully running on its itinerary to achieve its goals.
‘Administration is the backbone of civilization’, so the policy of the department is to contribute to strengthen the Indian Civilization through democracy and national development. Hence, the department has the goals to, - deliver good quality of higher education in Public Administration and to promote the growth of discipline, practice, and research of Public Administration. It also intended to produce high quality academicians, scholars, Civil Servants and administrative leaders and staffs in the near future.
With an intention to encourage the youngsters to take up the competitive examinations, - the department has a plan, - to start a pre-examination coaching centre for various competitive examinations conducted across the country and to align the MA syllabus in line with the syllabus of various competitive examinations.
BENEFITS OF STUDY OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
The one who is passionate, - to serve the nation and its people, to help the poor, underprivileged and weaker section of the society and to work for the social and economical development of the nation, through the machinery of the government, then the study of Public Administration is indispensable.
The MA course involves a mishmash of subjects; that gives an opportunity to the students to study public policy, the Indian constitution, economics, communications, finance, human resources development, leadership, administration, ethics, and research methodology. With this, the students will gain interdisciplinary academic background.
The study of Public Administration, - broaden the understanding of Indian administrative, political, economical and social systems; enhances leadership skills; provides opportunity to hold prestigious position in the Government and to make an impact on it, thereby on the lives of the people; and it also opens a wide range of job opportunities in public and private sectors.
- India is one of the fastest growing nation in the world; to keep up this momentum of growth and to achieve the tremendous goals of development; the nation requires young, meritorious and dynamic Civil Servants and administrative leaders/staffs, academicians and scholars in the field of Public Administration. Hence, there are wide ranges of career opportunities are available for students of public administration; these can be listed as follows:
- The prestigious All India Services and Central Civil Service, like IAS, IPS, IFoS, IFS and IRS etc.
- The prestigious State Civil Service, like KAS, KPS, KRS etc.
- Other Jobs through various direct recruitment being conducted by recruiting agencies like,- the Union Public Service Commission, such as, Combined Defense Service, Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandant) Examination, etc.; the Staff Selection Commission, like Combined Graduate Level Examinations, Recruitment of Staff in Cabinet Secretariat and Delhi Police etc,; Karnataka Public Service Commission, like FDA, SDA, PDO, ASI, etc., and nationalized and private Banks.
- Jobs through direct recruitment being conducted by the various department’s of Centre government and State governments.
- Jobs through direct recruitment being conducted by various Constitutional bodies, like the Election Commission of India, and the National Commission for SC/ST etc.; Non-constitutional bodies, like the National Commission for Women and the National Commission of Human Rights etc.
- Jobs in numerous Public Sector Undertakings like SAIL, NALCO and BHEL etc.
- Jobs in the Parliament (Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha) and the State Legislature (Vidhan Sabha/Vidhan Parishad).
- Jobs in District courts, High Courts and the Supreme Court.
- Jobs in Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs)
- Jobs in Private sectors, especially in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility of private company, and in other fields such Press Media, hospitals, IT Service Company, etc.
- Jobs as a writer/author, in reputed publishing organizations.
- Jobs in Teaching profession in both academic fields such as, under-graduate, graduate and post-graduate level and non-academic fields such as, competitive examination coaching centers, private training institutions, etc.
- Jobs in Research field at state, national, and international levels that includes both private and public fields.
The Department is specialized to take research activities on the following topics:
- Panchayat Raj Institutions
- Urban Governance
- Public Policy
- Good Governance
- Empowerment of Dalits, Backward Classes and Women
- Administrative Thoughts
- Social Welfare Administration