Brief History of Department:
The Post-graduate department of Hindi came into existence in the year 1959, thanks to Herculean efforts of visionaries like Prof.N.Nagappa, Prof.M.Rajeshwaraiah, Dr.Hiranmay, Dr.M.S.Krishnamurthy and Dr.N.S.Dakshinamurthy. With the initiative taken by the visionaries of our department the gates of knowledge were thrown open to one and all in the Country by making available M.A. in Hindi course through correspondence. Later in the year 1960 regular M.A. Hindi course was introduced. Institute of Correspondence Course and Continuing Education has now flowered into Karnataka State Open University.
FORMER CHAIRPERSONS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Dr.Malati Tandon
Departmental research activities:
Department publish’s a research journal entitled MANASI .
Faculty is involeved in personal research work.
Fellowships and Medals:
- 1. Non Hindi speaking state xholarship.
- 2. Subject scholarship
- SRI RAMAKRISHNAPPA AND SMT.MUDDALINGAMMA YANE CHINNAMMA VIDYARTHI YOGAKSHEMA NIDHI ENDOWMENT.
- Under this endowment, every year three Cash Prizes are given to those students who secure First Three places in I & II Semester M.A. Hindi examinations- First Prize Rs.500-00, Second Prize Rs.300-00 and Third Prize Rs.200-00.
- Mysore Viswavidyanilaya Sarva Prathama Hindi Professor Nagappa Swarna Padak (for the candidate who secures First Rank in M.A.)
- Smt.Marlecha Indira Kanwar Kishanlal Jain Endowment Gold Medal (for the candidate who secures the highest marks in ``Kabirdas``)
- The K.V.Sreenivas Murthy Memorail Hindi M.A. Gold Medal (for the candidate who secures the highest marks in Elements of Linguistics and History of Hindi language)
- Rajiv Gandhi fellowship for sc/st students for the Ph.D. candidates.
- SC/ST cell fellowship for the Ph.D. candidates
- “PRATIBHA” an annual manuscript magazine is being brought out every year to encourage creative writing in Hindi of the Departmental students.
- ‘Pratibha Day’ is also observed annually to encourage students participation in literary activities
- Uttar Pradesh Govt. has instituted two endowments to promote National Integration under which department published books on translations
| Sl. No || Name || Name of the Award || When Awarded || Awarding Agency
||Central Hindi directorate, New Delhi
||Hindi Sahitya Sammelan, Allahabad