The Department of Studies in Geography was started in the year 1959-60. Prior to this, Geography was being taught for undergraduate students at Maharaja’s College, a constituent college of Mysore University. Prof. Syed Nazir Ahmed, a master degree holder from the Aligarh Muslim University was the pioneer person to start Geography in Mysore University. Later Dr.Ghori, FRGS and M.Salar Masood joined the contingent of Geography teachers at Maharaja’s College.
Keeping in view of the need for Master degree course in Geography, the University of Mysore with the support of His Highness Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, the then Chancellor of University of Mysore, encouraged to start P.G.Course in Geography. This is the first and the oldest Geography department in Karnataka and second in the whole of South India, Initially, the department was situated at Maharaja’s College and later shifted to Manasagangotri, Campus in the year 1962-63. In the beginning the classes were conducted at. Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion and shifted to the present place in the year 1965. Dr. R.P.Mishra took over the headship of the department in 1965 and under his able leadership the department achieved good progress. Prof. Mishra, by his untiring efforts and dynamism placed the Geography department on the map of world Universities.