Special Cell for the welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
The Special Cell for the welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes was established in the year 1983. The UGC has funded the establishment of Special Cell for strengthening, implementing and monitoring the reservation policies/ guidelines issued by the Govt. of Karnataka, Govt. of India and University Grants Commission for the welfare of SC-STs from time to time.
The main objective of the SC-ST Cell is to ensure adequate representation to SC-STs in the matter of appointment for teaching, non-teaching posts and admission of students to various programmes in the University.
The Cell overseas the reservation policies of the Govt. of India and Govt. of Karnataka for the implementation of programmes in the University and affiliated colleges. Further, the Cell has created awareness among SC-STs about various academic schemes meant for their welfare.
There is a Standing Committee constituted by the University to prepare plans for special schemes for the amelioration of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. The Cell has an annual budget of Rs. 4.70 crores in 2019-20.
DEVELOPMENTAL SCHEMES FOR STUDENTS AND RESEARCHERS
Several routine and special schemes were implemented for the benefit of SC-ST Under-Graduate, Post-Graduate students and Research Scholars. At present, 230 Research Scholars from various schemes (RGNF, NFSC, NFST, SC-ST Cell Fellowships, and PDF) are pursuing research studies.
Students benefited under Ph.D. Programme of UGC, New Delhi
Students benefited under PDF Programme of UGC, New Delhi
Students benefited under Ph.D. Programme of University of Mysore (SC-ST Cell Fellowship)
Remedial English Coaching Classes under UGC 12th Plan period
- Brain storming workshop: For successfully facing all competitive examinations (ICS/KAS/Bank Exams/UGC-NET/SLET etc.). The students of University of Mysore are trained by the experts
- Computer awareness training conducted at CIST, UOM
- Mess Management in the University Hostels
- Providing Hostel facilities to students including Extra Boarding and Lodging (EBL) charges of Rs. 300/- per month
- Electricity and water charges for students staying in 19 Hostels
- Room rent facility for Non-Hostelites (UG and PG Students)
- Financial assistance for Dissertation / Project works
- Financial Assistance for Sports and Extra Curricular activities for UG and PG Students (National, International and Inter University level participation)
- ICS and KAS prelims qualified students of University of Mysore are eligible to utilize Rs. 10,000/- for Main Examinations
- Financial support from District Social Welfare Department, Mysuru for M.Phil./Ph.D. holders
- Merit scholarship of Rs. 25,000/- from DSW, Bangaluru for securing I to V Rank in the subjects
- Both Ph.D. holders and UG/PG first Rank holders are felicitated on the occasion of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s Birth Anniversary Celebrations
- Dr. Babu Jagjivan Ram’s Birth Anniversary Celebrations
- Placement: Details of research scholars and post doctoral fellows joined for appointments
Many students secured Ranks in the Colleges and in PG Departments, University of Mysore.
More than 400 students have been awarded Ph.D. degree since 1983-84 to 2018-19. [ Link ]
Number of Ph.D. scholars who attended felicitation programme from 2014-15 to 2019-20
Year No. of Ph.D. Scholars
2014-15 - 80
2015-16 - 89
2016-17 - 93
2017-18 - 129
2018-19 - 82
Total - 473
Many candidates have been successful in qualifying competitive examinations such as NET/SLET, KAS, SDA, FDA, etc.