Brief History of Department
History began to be taught in the Maharaja’s college in the year 1894, before University of Mysore which was established in 1916. In 1894 History Society, the oldest academic forum of Princely Mysore was established and it is being continued from 1894 to till now. Several luminaries, including Thomas Denham (first Registrar of University of Mysore in 1916) Radhakumad Mukherjee, C.R. Reddy, M.H. Krishna, K.N V. Shastry, B. Sheik Ali, Muddachari, O. Anantharamaiah, K. S. Shivanna, and others adorned the faculty of History
Department of Studies in History was first in the University to get the UGC Special Assistance Programme. It also first in India to start the Area studies Programme on the Middle Eastern Studies. The only Social Science Department in the University of Mysore to impart training in two West Asian Languages-Arabic and Persian.
Journal of Historical Studies published by the Department of Studies in History has completed 5 decades of its existence. It is one of the few History Departments in India to have a Journal of its own. Ithihasa is another Journal of our Department in which articles are contributed by the students. History is one of the few Departments in the University to have a Department library of its own.
1. Prof. B. Sheik Ali Endowment Gold Medal
2. M.S. NarayanaSwamy Gold Medal
3. M.H. Gopal Gold Medal
4. JayachamarajendraWodeyer Gold Medal
5. T. AnandaRao Gold Medal
6. Tippu Sultan Gold Medal for Arabic
7. Jayalakshmmanni Endowment Memorial Lectures
8. DS AchutaRao Endowment Rs. 10 lakhs