The Department of Studies in Geography was started in the year 1959-60 at Maharaja’s College by the eminent scholar and geographer, Prof.Syed Nazir Ahmed. Later Prof.Ghori, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society and Prof.M.Salar Masood joined the department at Maharaja’s College. The Master degree course in Geography was established in the University under the His Highness Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, theChancellor of University of Mysore. This is the one of the oldest Geography department in the state of Karnataka. Initially, the department was situated at Maharaja’s College and later shifted to Manasagangotri, Campus in the year 1962-63. In the beginning the classes were conducted at Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion Palace and shifted to new premises by the year 1965.
Later on, Prof. R.P.Mishra took the charge to head the department in the year 1965 and under his leadership the department achieved good progress at global level. He made tremendous research and developmental activities in the field Urban and Regional Planning. This brought the global attention towards the University of Mysore. Based on the academic progress he initiated the new centre called “Regional planning and Developmental Studies” in the department of Geography. Later on the new institute emerged at 1971 with the nomenclature called “Institute of Development Studies (IDS)” at the University of Mysore. Through the year 1971 to till date, there were about 12 Chairmen served to the department such as Prof. P D Mahadev, Prof. P Jayaramaiah, Prof. K Ranganath, Prof. K N Udaya Kumar, Prof. C Chowdaiah, Prof. Rajashekara Shetty, Prof. Krishna Murthy, Prof. B N Shivalingappa, Prof. H Nagaraj, Prof. Asima Nusrath, Prof. B Chandrashekara and currently Prof. P Jayashree heading the department. By the effort of Prof. Ramu, Centre for Geoinformatics Technology has instituted in the department by the year 2014 and the centre is running with various technical courses.
Milestones in the Department of Geography:
Department with UG was established in Maharaj’s College
Department with PG was introduced and shifted to Manasagangotri Campus
Regional planning and Developmental Studies was started by Prof.R.P.Mishra
Institute of Development Studies (IDS) has emerged as separate Institute through Prof.R.P.Mishra (Ex VC, Allahabad University, UP)
M.A in Geography from Arts Faculty have been converted to M.Sc. in Geography to the Science Faculty
Endowment of Zakir Hussain Chair has introduced in Department of Geography
M.Phil. in Geography have been introduced.
M.Sc. in Geographical Information System (GIS) course currently housed.
Which is shifted from Maharaja’s College to Department of Geography under the new center name called to be “Centre for Geoinformatics Technology”
“Centre for Geoinformatics Technology” introduced P.G.Diploma in GIS
“Centre for Geoinformatics Technology” introduced Diploma in Remote Sensing (Evening Course for Working Professionals – Odd Semester)
“Centre for Geoinformatics Technology” introduced Diploma in GIS
(Evening Course for Working Professionals – Even Semester)
· Every year M.Sc. in Geography students are placed in GIS Companies, competing in the Public Services, Opting B.Ed courses for teaching jobs, Some are qualifying the Assistant Professorship in NET/SLET/Ph.D and working as UG/PG lecturers.
· Every academic year, the Department of Geography conducts National/International Seminars/Workshops/Conferences/Webinars for skill development and career enhancement purposes.
· Curriculum is often changed/modified based on the global trends.
· Students pursuing M.Sc. Geography have to do a mandatory Dissertation work in their fourth semester as a part of their curriculum. This is intended to expose students to tackle Geographical problems.
· Department has continuously working with corporate companies, government organization, NGO’s for extending research and development activities for betterment of the students career and prospects
· “Zakir Hussain Chair”is housed in the department since 2012-13 and various activities like counseling for the students/series of lectureship are conducted with the motto of “Imparting National Integration Practices”.
· Department has five endowment gold medals/Cash price for the meritorious students such as “Bhoogola Shastra Gold Medal”, “Bhoogola Vignana Gold Medal”, “Dr.Gopal Vishwanath Godbole Gold Medal”, Shri.Panditha K.C. Nanjunda Aradhya Memorial Cash Prize, and Prof.P.Jayaramaiah Abhimanigala Chinnada Padaka.
· Counseling with students in matters related to their social anxieties, financial and examination stress.
· Tree planting on important occasion by visiting dignitaries.
· Conducting field trips,educational tours and Induction programees .
· Department faculties are involved in delivering special lectures in ATI, various NSS annual camps and training camps held at various places.