Ancient History and Archaeology

Brief History of Department

             In the year 1950, the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri Jayachamaraja Wodeyar created an endowment chair in Indology and appointed Prof.H.N.Raghavendra Char, the retired Professor of Philosophy and also the ‘Dharmaadhikari’ of the Mysore Professor and Head of the Department of Indology.In the year 1952, Professor K.A.Neelakanta Sastry was invited as head of the department and the ex-officio Director of Archaeology of Mysore State, served upto March 1956 and Dr.M.Sheshadri, Professor of History, succeeded him. In the year 1958, a fullfledged independent Department was formed.The under-graduate and post-graduate departments of Indology combined at Maharaja’s College since their inception upto the year 1963. A separate department at Manasagangotri with other P.G.Departments our department also shifted to the new campus.In the year 1968, to bring the uniformity with the sister departments, the name of the department was changed from Department of Indology to Department of Ancient History and Archeology.The Department has conducted excavations at several sites across Karnataka. The results of the excavations have attracted the attention of scholars in archaeology. 

 

Excavations conducted by the Department:

 

Koppa Excavated for two seasons-Megalithic site

T.Narasipura Excavated for two seasons –Neolithic site

Banavasi Excavated for two seasons-Early Historic site

Belgol Excavated for one season- Neolithic site  

Krishnapura Excavated for one season-Disturbed Neolithic and Megalithic site. 

Talakad Jointly Excavated with State Archaeology Department for five season         - prehistoric, early historic and historic sand dune site 

Rajaghatta Excavated for two seasons- Buddhist site

Anuvanahalli-Early historic site-one season